How to import Spotify playlist into Google Play Music?
I discovered a comment on a website by Scott Walstead (Web Developer), he has developed a Spotify to YouTube playlist called Playlistbuddy.com and this is where my solution to the problem came about.
FYI: I used both Windows 10 (for Excel) and OSX (for terminal) to do this task. One still needs to run a few scripts in Terminal, but my solution definitely works as I have successfully imported a massive playlist to Google Play Music.
- Log into Playlistbuddy.com with your Spotify account. This pulls in your Spotify playlists into the webpage.
- Select a playlist and using the mouse highlight every row of the playlist and copy.
- Paste the list into a spreadsheet and remove any unwanted columns.
- Insert a column between Song and Artist and between Artist and Album. Add a backslash “\” into both blank columns.
- Use the =CONCATENATE formula (=concatenate(A1,B1, C1, D1, E1) to join the five rows together, repeat the steps for the rest of the rows. Save the file as Spotify.txt file. The results look like this.
- Download and extract Gmusic-Playlist from the Soulfx/gmusic-playlist website.
- After running into some difficulty with the command line, I discovered I needed to install some extra modules, so via terminal update python by running the following command: python -m pip install gmusicapi
- In the gmusic-playlist-maker folder edit the preferences.py and add in your gmail email address at he top. Save the file.
- Copy the text file from step 5 into the gmusic-playlist-maker folder and then run this command: python ImportList.py Spotify.txt
- You will be prompted for your gmail password and then you should see a lot of searching text taking place.
- Finally when it is done there will be a summary telling you how many of your songs were imported into Google Music. I had 151 of 164 songs imported which is excellent.
- Finally check out Google Play Music playlist versus Spotify playlist. Success! 🙂
We are lookatbowen