For more information on my Nokia N900, visit my website www.mynokian900.com
So I thought it would be a good idea to start a page that captures everything that is good and bad about the N900 (I can’t fault it ), such as I have done in the past for the Nokia N95 and Nokia 5800. Please drop me an email if you know of any cool applications that I don’t have.
Nokia N900: Rather than re-invent the wheel, you can find all the specifications at the Maemo-Nokia website.
Comparing the Nokia N900 with other branded phones:
- Phonegg.com (E72 versus Nokia N900).
- Phonearena.com – (E72 versus Nokia N900) – very detailed.
- The Nokia N900 – Not just an iToy, but a lot more fun (a comparison between the iPhone, Android and Nokia N900).
Nokia N900 – The Good:
If you are a multi-tasker, web surfer, twitter follower, love to chat on instant messenger services such as AOL, MSN, Skype, GTalk, Yahoo, Facebook Jabber, etc, like to share photos on Flickr, OVI, play games even play those old atari, ZX Spectrum games, listen to music, watch video, listen to internet radio, travel with GPS, geotag photographs and video, fiddle in X-terminal screen, run scripts, test applications, play with software that is still in Alpha or Beta then this phone is most certainly for you. It is incredible. You will not get bored with this phone! – BTW: It is possible to make calls. (ha ha).
Nokia N900 – How to / Manuals:
Nokia N900 – Reviews: (Mobile site name – post name with post link)
- Mobile Review – First look at Nokia RX-51 also known as Nokia N900
- Mobile Review – Review of Nokia N900’s Maemo5
- My Symbian – Nokia N900 / Maemo 5 preview
Nokia N900 Keyboard Shortcuts (compliments of the Nokia Experts):
- Ctrl + Backspace: From within an application this will take you back out to the visual task manager. (Thanks to Chanse for that one.)
- Ctrl + C: Copy text
- Ctrl + V: Paste text
- Ctrl + X: Cut text
- Ctrl + A: Select all
- Ctrl + O: Open (if available)
- Ctrl + N: Create a new item (if available)
- Ctrl + S: Save (if available)
- Ctrl + Z: Undo (if available)
- Ctrl + Y: Redo (if available)
- Ctrl + F: Open search bar (if available)
- Ctrl + Right arrow: Move the insertion point to the end of the word
- Ctrl + Left arrow: Move the insertion point to the beginning of the word
These are all great Matt, but how the heck do I select text in the first place? You can use the shift key (far left) and the directional arrows on the keyboard to select text. Or you can use the stylus and double tap for a word or triple tap for all words in a document to select.
- Ctrl + N: Open a new window
- Ctrl + R: Reload the current page
- Ctrl + B: Open a bookmark
- Ctrl + D: Add a bookmark
- Ctrl + Shift + O: Portrait View in Browser (Oh yes, yes, yes), thanks to the guys over at Nokia N900 Applications for this little Gem.
- Volume Rocker on side of phone to zoom in and out.
- Ctrl + Enter: Send a message
- Ctrl + R: Reply to a message
- Ctrl + R: Refresh the feed
- Ctrl + Shift + P: Capture a screenshot. Warm up those fingers first to try this out. (Thanks Nokia Experts reader Matti for the tip.)
N900 – Links relating to the phone from various sources:
- Nokia N900 (Official site)
- Nokia / Maemo (Official site)
- Nomads Nirvana – a really good site covering everything Nokia (Nokia N900, Headphones, speakers, maps etc).
- Maemo Briefs – One really awesome some on everything Maemo & Nokia N900.
- Wikipedia – The phone explained, full specifications etc available.
- Nokia N900 Applications – a truly brilliant site.
- N900 Wallpapers & Backgrounds – a site created for owners of n900 mobile computer devices, providing 800×480 and 3200×480 wallpapers uploaded by the community, in singles and in 4-desktop panorama packs!
- Prismic wallpaper manager – In December 2009, Iolite Technologies took over support and administration for n900wallpapers.com – the premiere wallpaper and backgrounds gallery for the Nokia N900.
- MyMaemo.com – A user’s perspective on Nokia N900 and Maemo!
- Nokia Conversations – stories from around the neighbourhood.
- Map loader for Nokia N900 fix – Windows 7 and Vista Fix included.
Nokia N900 – Software available for the Nokia N900:
I currrently have over 200 applications loaded on my N900, which takes a good couple of hours to install if I restore the device. Listed below are actual applications that I have installed, but I also have a lot of transparent applications behind the scenes that enhance the N900 a thousand fold, which I will try and list below:
- Bootscreen Manager.
- Live Wallpaper.
- Browser Switchboard.
- Theme Customizer.
- Sharing Accounts:
- VoIP and IM accounts:
- Google Talk
- Hide User Agent.
- Media IM Status Updater.
- Call Notify.
- Last.FM scrobbler.
- Desktop Widgets:
- App Search.
- Calendar Home Widget (an enhancement on the default Calendar widget).
- Desktop command Execution.
- Desktop Switcher (very useful if one is running multiple desktops (more than 4 up to 9)).
- Facebrick (another Facebook widget).
- FeedingIT (RSS reader).
- Foreca Weather.
- HomeScreen Selector (A visual homescreen selector – very useful if you are running multiple desktops (more than 4 and up to 9).
- K9 call (T9 editor for portrait mode).
- Live wallpaper.
- Media Player.
- Queen BeeCon.
- Touch Search.
- maxCPU (very very useful widget for quickly overclocking your N900).
- Conversations (email and sms viewer).
- App Search.
- Internet Browsers / Quick Search Tools:
- Mozilla Firefox
- MicroB (default).
- Social networking / communication / file sharing:
- Hermes Syncs Your N900 Contacts With Twitter And Facebook
- TwimGo – A really cool Twitter client for the N900 now in QT.
- File Transfers
- Evernote – Use Evernote to save your ideas, things you see, and things you like. Then find them all on any computer or device you use. For free. Pick up the Evernote application from OVI store.
- Migrate Contacts (facebook).
- My contacts.
- Pidgin Internet.
- SMSCON Editor.
- Import Contacts.
- Editors / File Managers / System Tools / Application Downloader:
- File Manager (default).
- appdownloader (maemo).
- Terminal (default).
- Deinstall Kernel-.
- Midnight Commander.
- Presence VNC.
- Optimize N900.
- Storage usage.
- Transition control.
- VNC Viewer.
- Tweak Flash.
- Petrovich (file sharing over Bluetooth, email, SMS etc).
- Active Desktop Statusbar Icon.
- RSS and eBook readers
- Multimedia (Music, Podcasting, Video, Images, Backgrounds, Drawing):
- Audio book reader.
- Vagalume – Last.FM and Libre.FM player. NB: Last.FM does not work because of licencing issues, but there is a work around and it works perfectly. Follow the instructions over at NokiaAddict.com and you will be listening to Last.FM in no time at all.
- BlueMaemo – is a remote controller application for Maemo-powered devices. With BlueMaemo you can turn your Maemo-powered device in a mixed Bluetooth keyboard-and-mouse device through the HID Bluetooth profile. I have successfully tested it by controlling my iMac mouse and keyboard, HP Pavillion DV9000, PS3 and the using my Nokia N900 as my PS3 controller. A brilliant application. I am using Windows 7, and initially it would not work after the N900 paired with Windows 7,because it would ERROR with Bluetooth Peripheral Device. The reason for this is because Windows 7 does not automatically install Windows Mobile Device Center, you need to visit Microsoft and download the driver or file for whatever version you have installed (32bit or 64bit). I found the solution on the Windows 7 Forum. I followed their instructions and it worked perfectly. (thanks guys).
- I recently purchased an awesome wallpaper manager called Prismic for the N900. If you click the link you can read all about it.
- myDicto (audio recorder).
- Games and Entertainment:
- Numpty Physics.
- Outlaw Solitaire.
- Navigation and Maps:
- Sygic Mobile.
- Camera and Video Tools:
- FrontView (scanner).
- Maemo WebDav.
- VU Meter.
- Widgets Gallery.
- Word to Go.
- Excel to Go.
- Powerpoint to Go.
- BT HID Connect.
- BT HID Watcher.
- NITDroid Uninstall.
- Mouse Cursor.
- K9 call.
- Stock this.
Nokia N900 – Other hardware used with the Nokia N900:
- I have a pair of Nokia BH-905 bluetooth headphones that I use daily with my N900. I can’t rate these headphones enough. They are brilliant. See my post on them here.
- As mentioned above, if you use your N900 extensively like I do, then the battery is not going to last long. I bought the Nokia DC-11 for extra juice and this battery is brilliant. Check out a review at Nokia Experts. What I like about this extra charging device is the fact that it has two cables. One is a 2mm socket that can charge phones such as the N95 or 5800. The other socket is a micro USB for phones such as the Nokia N900. The DC-11 is sexy as hell, light and the perfect partner for the N900.
Nokia N900 – How to do the million and one things this tablet can do:
- How to set up Google Maps?
- How to enable Mouse Mode in the browser?
- Repositories Extras, Extras-Devel and Extras-Testing for Nokia N900
- How to change the Boot Splash Screen (you know the boring white screen Nokia Handshake). The instructions are a bit vague, but read the comments, two posts make sense. There are also some cool videos you can try out on Youtube.com – just click the link).
- 54 Hand Tips and Tricks for the Nokia N900 ( some good ones in here).
- How to have 9 sexy desktops on your Nokia N900? (My own post with screenshots).
- How to tweak, modify your Maemo device? (e.g. changing the start up animation, changing shutdown animation, theme editing, menu modding, transistion tweaking and many more extras) – Note: you will need to sign up for Symbian-Freak Forums, but it is worth it!
- How to set up WinSCP to log into your Nokia N900? – Very useful if you plan to modify your phone in any way. There are a few editors such as Midnight Commander that allow you to delve into the heart of the device, but making changes directly from your PC is a lot easier. Note: To access the link, you will need to sign up for Symbian-Freak Forums, but it is worth it!
- How to fix the Nokia Messaging bug and to properly set it up.
- Python on the Nokia N900 – Mark at Stochastic Geometry has written a post for the more – shall we say – complex-minded amongst you.
Overclocking the N900:
- See my post titled “Pushing the Nokia N900 to the limit!” – This post has links to all the resources.
- There is a really cool application called MaeModder that takes care of a whole multitude of mods including overclocking.
Multiple desktops – Up to 9 desktops are possible:
- See my post titled “How to have 9 sexy desktops on your Nokia N900?“
- There is a 34+ page forum called “[How To] Have up to 9 home screens on N900” over at Talk.maemo.org
- There is a really cool application called MaeModder that takes care of a whole multitude of mods.
Dual Booting Nokia N900 with Android 2.3.1 (Gingerbread):
- Nitroid – This project is hoping to create stable and working version of the android OS for the nokia internet Tablets (N8x0 and n900 series.
- [Android] NITDroid V2 Development Topic on the Maemo Forums.
Dual Booting Maemo and Meego:
As I have not tried any of the links below, I am recommending readers show caution with the links below. They are listed for reference purposes only. Please visit the Maemo Talk Forum for more information.