Born in SA between 1920 and 1980!
Below applies to all those people born in South African between 1920 and 1980.
- First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
- They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn’t get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
- Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
- We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking!!!
- As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
- Riding in the back of a Bakkie on a warm day was always a special treat.
- We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
- Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Steers, Nandos.
- Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn’t open on the weekends, somehow we didn’t starve to death!
- We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
- We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Chappies, Wilson ‘s Toffees, Wicks Bubble Gum and some crackers to blow up frogs with.
- We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because……
- WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
- We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
- No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
- We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
- We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in river beds with matchbox cars.
- We did not have Playstations, Nintendo’s, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on DSTV, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms……….WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
- We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
- Only girls had pierced ears!
- We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
- You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time…….no really!
- We were given pellet guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays!!
- We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
- Mum didn’t have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
- RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT AND NOT DUE TO BLACKMAIL, THREATS AND GUILT FROM THE PAST….. strange but true!
- Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather staps and bully’s always ruled the playground at school.
- The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
- They actually sided with the law!
- Our parents didn’t invent stupid names for their kids like ‘Kiora’ and ‘Blade’ and ‘Ridge’ and ‘Vanilla’
- This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
- The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
- We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
- And YOU are one of them!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- Short Lunch time walkOn 15th January 2020 1:32 pm went 1.64 mi. during 00:25:26 hours climbing 53.15 ft.
- Limpsfield Chart long walkOn 12th January 2020 10:01 am went 10.97 mi. during 05:16:30 hours climbing 1,059.38 ft.
- Lunch time walk around the London I don't knowOn 10th January 2020 2:14 pm went 3.21 mi. during 00:56:31 hours climbing 45.60 ft.
- Tower Bridge lunchtime walkOn 9th January 2020 1:17 pm went 2.41 mi. during 00:35:24 hours climbing 96.78 ft.
- Lunch time walk around the square mileOn 8th January 2020 2:21 pm went 2.36 mi. during 00:35:00 hours climbing 54.13 ft.
- Advice (59)
- Animals (18)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (393)
- Brands (190)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (3)
- Home Automation (3)
- Music (64)
- NYE (8)
- People (68)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (100)
- Technology (67)
- Video (94)
- World (105)