Bowen’s mega Sygic Mobile Maps 10 review.
We took a drive up to Sunderland to spend Xmas with my brother Peter onboard his ship the CS Sovereign. He is currently waiting for an undersea cable project which is taking place in early January 2011.
We left from the O2 at North Greenwich Station (London) on Friday afternoon at 3pm and got to Sunderland just after 8pm. There was hardly any traffic on the roads and the roads were clear of ice and snow. I had bought the Sygic Mobile Maps 10 earlier that morning for my Nokia N900 from the OVI store because they were offering the UK & Ireland Maps for FREE.
The software itself was only €19 discounted by €10 as part of a Christmas special (bargain). I have tested mobile maps 9 in the past as part of a trial, therefore had a lot of confidence that it would work brilliantly and I was not disappointed.
Note: The review below is quite long and therefore broken up into 4 pages.
The entire interface of Sygic mobile maps 10 is finger friendly, clear and easy to use. Setting up a route was a pleasure because all possible options have been covered by the intuitive software.
The first time one loads up mobile maps it opens the map at your last known location. The N900 is very quick at locking onto a satellite and the software quickly established our location. Tapping on the map opens up a menu. There are 8 menu items but the first menu icon has a button called Navigate to… and is the main option when setting up a route.
Pressing Navigate to… take one to a menu with a number of options to choose from: Address or Postal Code, Contacts, Favourites, Home, History, Points on Map, Hotel, Restaurant, Point of Interest, Current GPS Position or Enter GPS Position. (so much choice it’s fantastic).
I used the Address or Postal Code option, which gave two choices (Address or Postal Code). I knew the location and street name, but not the postal code, so started to type in the first few letters “Sund” and because it only had UK & Ireland maps loaded, the names were already indexed and it quickly found all the possible town and city names starting with ‘Sund’ and listed Sunderland at the very top. We were heading for Sunderland near Newcastle not near Cumbria.
Of course there could be multiple locations in a particular street, and again it lists the possibilities. I knew my brother was on a ship so seeing “Port of Sunderland” as an option was a clear indication of which option to choose.
- See the location on a map (the map is able to be zoomed in or out).
- See available parking in the area and it lists all the parking garages and spaces and gives directions and distance away. (One also has the choice to type in names).
- Save the location as a favourite (very useful especially if you plan to call it up again later).
- ROUTE ME! is the main option, which then shows you:
- a map of the route,
- the distance to travel from your starting point,
- your ETA (estimated time of arrival),
- time left for journey,
- the type of method it used to determine all of above (fastest).
>>> Continue reading by clicking on page 2 link below:
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- Bucket List – Spend a day with friends in Washington D.C.28th August 2018
- How to change default rowlimit (10 posts) on SharePoint 2013 blog?In Advice11th July 2018
- Rock legend Bryan Adams wows Bowen at the O2.1st June 2018
- Lookatbowen.com is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant.30th May 2018
- Bowen purchased a pair of Oakley Turbine Prizm P sunglasses.20th May 2018
- Advice (59)
- Animals (16)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (380)
- Brands (184)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (2)
- Home Automation (2)
- Music (64)
- NYE (6)
- People (67)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (98)
- Technology (66)
- Video (89)
- World (104)