FIX: How to setup the D-Link DCS-5222L Rev B Surveillance IP camera on Samsung SmartThings?
This post is about my experience of setting up the D-Link DCS 5222L Network Surveillance camera to the Samsung SmartThings hub. There is a note on the SmartThings app that says:
This device has not been officially tested and certified to “Work with SmartThings”. You can connect it to your SmartThings home but performance may vary and we will not be able to provide support or assistance.
In fact this is a bit misleading because the D-Link DCS 5222L camera is not picked automatically if the latest firmware “DCS-5222L_B1_FW_V2.14.04” is installed on the camera. I know this because I have two of these cameras on my home network and one was on V2.13 while the other was on V2.14.
When connecting the camera via the SmartThings APP, only one of them was picked up, the one running V2.13. After I rolled back the version on the second camera it worked perfectly.
Some other things to note before adding the cameras to your SmartThings hub:
- The default paid app Mydlink+ works much better, meaning there are more options such as Pan, Tilt and Zoom available. The SmartThings app doesn’t appear to offer any of these basic functions, rendering your camera dumb with a fixed view.
- Different views if set up, can be selected on the Mydlink+ app, but nothing can be selected via the SmartThings app.
For me it is okay, as I as I only use the cameras to point in a specific direction, but it might not be for everyone.
Or maybe someone has written a smart app that allows all those features.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- How to change default rowlimit (10 posts) on SharePoint 2013 blog?In Advice11th July 2018
- Rock legend Bryan Adams wows Bowen at the O2.1st June 2018
- Lookatbowen.com is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant.30th May 2018
- Bowen purchased a pair of Oakley Turbine Prizm P sunglasses.20th May 2018
- Panoramas pulled from Google Photos with Photonic WordPress plugin.18th May 2018
- Advice (59)
- Animals (16)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (379)
- Brands (184)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (2)
- Home Automation (2)
- Music (64)
- NYE (6)
- People (67)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (98)
- Technology (66)
- Video (89)
- World (104)