Flashing BlissPop ROM Lollipop 5.0.2 on Samsung Galaxy Tab S (SM-T800).
We just got the Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Our first tablet. It is an awesome 10.5″ Super AMOLED 2560 x 1600 pixels tablet, measuring 6.6mm thick. It is super fast with its Exynos 5 1.9GHz Octa-Core processor. 3GB of RAM on board means this tablet is a beast.
My only gripe was the dreadful Samsung Touchwiz software that is bolted onto the Android 4.4. Kitkat operating system. Not that it is a major problem because I am very familiar with flashing ROMs and in this post I am going to tell you how I flashed a Lollipop 5.0.2 BlissPop ROM onto it.
NB: Before going on, do realize once you attempt any of the instructions below, the chances are you are voiding your warranty. My post below was what I did, which means I was happy to void the warranty, you might feel differently. Also accidents happen, instructions can be misread or misunderstood. Please don’t leave a comment telling me my instructions have caused your tablet to be bricked. The instructions or links below are not mine, only the links I have followed, which happened to work for me and my model of Samsung tablet.
- Root your device. Here are the instructions for rooting: http://androidxda.com/root-samsung-galaxy-tab-s-10-5-wifi-sm-t800 – If like me you experience a hanging “disabling KNOX” message after running SuperSU, don’t fear, just reboot your tablet (or read here: http://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys5/comments/2a92qq/supersu_stuck_disabling_knox/ ).
NOTE 1: If you have Micro USB Jig Download Dongle, it will work allowing one to enter into Download mode.
- Install TWRP recovery. Here are the instructions for installing the latest version of TWRP: http://techegis.com/install-twrp-recovery-galaxy-tab-s-10-5-wi-fi/ (it references Odin v3.0.9 on the website, but the file it gives you is Odin v3.0.7. Here is a the link to Odin v3.0.9: http://androidhost.org/PVAIv).
NOTE 2: If you have Micro USB Jig Download Dongle, it will work allowing one to enter into Download mode. NOTE 3: I had a heart stopping moment / issue when I needed to exit out of the Download mode and realized I was not able too. If you get stuck in Download mode, to exit you need to press the Power Key and Volume Down button at the same time for about 10 to 15 seconds. Pulling the battery out is not an option on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S.
- Download the BlissPop ROM. – Files and instructions from the XDA Developers forum are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/rom-blisspop-team-bliss-t2987234 NOTE 4: Do follow the instructions on the website. Don’t forget to download the GAPPS package. There are choices on the website.
- Before I flashed the ROM, I downloaded an app off Play Store called TWRP Manager. This app allows you to Install, Backup, Restore, and Wipe your device all using TWRP. This utilizes OpenRecoveryScript to complete these actions. Using this TWRP Manager I selected the BlissPop ROM, the GAPPS file and some extra zip I wanted flashing, and it did everything for me. After an agonizingly long reboot it was all good.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- GoPro Hero 7 Black is an awesome action camera.6th November 2018
- Bucket List – Spend a day with friends in Washington D.C.28th August 2018
- How to change default rowlimit (10 posts) on SharePoint 2013 blog?In Advice11th July 2018
- Rock legend Bryan Adams wows Bowen at the O2.1st June 2018
- Lookatbowen.com is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant.30th May 2018
- Advice (59)
- Animals (16)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (380)
- Brands (185)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (2)
- Home Automation (2)
- Music (64)
- NYE (6)
- People (67)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (99)
- Technology (66)
- Video (90)
- World (104)