Hello Devolo dLAN 650 plus goodbye unsightly CAT5 cables
I have always been a firm believer that a wired network is a lot better than a wireless network. WiFi is great and easy to set up, has good security and is perfect for mobile devices and PC’s, but when it comes to downloading and sharing large files from the Internet or watching high-definition movies or playing multi-player gamers on PlayStation or Xbox, a wired network is essential.
The disadvantages of a wired network throughout the house is the unsightly grey or white cable running along the floor skirting or up and over the door frame. (Yes I didn’t box the cables when I ran them ten years ago). Over the years our network cables started to suffer wear and tear until one day recently during some renovations work our wired network came to a halt.
So this evening I purchased the Devolo dLAN 650 Triple Plus Start Kit.
This technology is amazingly simple. It uses the existing power cables in the walls to run a secure home network from the wall socket at the router to any wall socket where a computer or gaming console or Smart TV or printer is plugged in.
This starter kit has two units. One unit has a single gigabit port, which the router will plug into and the other unit has 3 gigabit ports for multiple networked devices.
This particular model claims:
- High-performing 600 Mbps for lightning-fast data transmission.
- With the integrated electrical socket, no power outlet in your room goes to waste.
- Gigabit Ethernet.
- Automatic encryption! Active protection against unauthorised access.
- Minimal energy consumption with the innovative PowerSave technology from devolo: continuous, intelligent and fully automatic.
- Includes dLAN® Cockpit software for home network configuration on a computer (Windows, Mac OS® X, Linux®), which is great because I run all three OS types in my home network, so it will be interesting to see the performance.
The various reviews I have read have been very positive. Our house was built in the late 1800’s, I am not sure when our electrics or wiring were put into our house, but we have over 48 wall sockets throughout the house, so I am guessing fairly recently.
TechRadar did a review back in April 2014 on this hardware and they gave it the thumbs up – you can read their review here. They did the test in a Victorian house and had very good results so I am looking forward to putting the Devolo dLAN 650 Triple Plus Start Kit to the test.
I will post an update in due course when we have fully tested this solution. I am hoping it will prove successful, which means I will have saved time and effort rewiring the house.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- Bucket List – Spend a day with friends in Washington D.C.28th August 2018
- How to change default rowlimit (10 posts) on SharePoint 2013 blog?In Advice11th July 2018
- Rock legend Bryan Adams wows Bowen at the O2.1st June 2018
- Lookatbowen.com is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant.30th May 2018
- Bowen purchased a pair of Oakley Turbine Prizm P sunglasses.20th May 2018
- Advice (59)
- Animals (16)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (380)
- Brands (184)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (2)
- Home Automation (2)
- Music (64)
- NYE (6)
- People (67)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (98)
- Technology (66)
- Video (89)
- World (104)