The countdown has started to the Bowen road trip around California.
The countdown has begun! Our road trip around California starts in a few weeks time. I quite like this new theme and all the features it has built into it, the countdown being one of them. The excitement is growing day by day. We have been planning this road trip for over a year now. It has been a mammoth task to get everything organised. So far we have the flights, accommodation, car hire and some touristy things booked.
There have been a few curve balls along the way such as Brexit and the falling pound against the dollar, but we have watched it slowly rise back up to affordability. As I write this it is currently £1.32 = $1. It was £1.14 at the beginning of the year.
Another curve ball took place in May, after a lot of rain fell along the Pacific coast, which caused a massive land slide along Highway 1 (Big Sur), which took out the whole road and dumped millions of tons of rock into the sea. It means travelling down the coast on Highway 1 is impossible. Instead we can go as far as the famous Bixby Bridge and then will have to take highway 101 & 46 all the way to Cambria. See photos below and the new route we will be taking.
I am a big fan of My Maps, which is part of Google Maps. It allows one to plot the route and add markers, which can be customized on a PC or Mobile device. There are dozens of markers to choose from and one can set the colours, add layers and share with the usual social sites. The map is also dynamic meaning we can add / remove markers, places anytime and it automatically updates on all devices. By adding layers to the map one can filter stuff off or on the map.
Some of the places we want to see
- San Francisco, Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Bixby Bridge, Cambria
- Three rivers, Sequoia National Park, General Sherman
- Yosemite, North Dome, Glacier point, mountains, waterfalls and nature
- Gold country, Lake Tahoe, Casinos
- Napa Valley
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- GoPro Hero 7 Black is an awesome action camera.6th November 2018
- Bucket List – Spend a day with friends in Washington D.C.28th August 2018
- How to change default rowlimit (10 posts) on SharePoint 2013 blog?In Advice11th July 2018
- Rock legend Bryan Adams wows Bowen at the O2.1st June 2018
- Lookatbowen.com is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant.30th May 2018
- Advice (59)
- Animals (16)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (380)
- Brands (185)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (2)
- Home Automation (2)
- Music (64)
- NYE (6)
- People (67)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (99)
- Technology (66)
- Video (90)
- World (104)