Yubikey is a USB multi-factor authentication device for LastPass etc.
Last August I did a post on the password manager LastPass, you can read about it here. I recently purchased the Yubikey, which compliments this awesome password manager and other online websites.
What does multi-factor authentication mean?
Multifactor authentication (MFA) is a security system that requires more than one method of authentication from independent categories of credentials to verify the user’s identity for a login.
The fact is LastPass has a master password that protects everything. This could be seen as a major con if ones password was not strong enough. If this password was compromised it would be the end of the world for some people. Not so for me, because my password is very strong and I’ve had 2FA (Two factor authentication) setup for the majority of my accounts including LastPass. It has meant whenever logging into an online account with a username and password, a 6-8 digit code was also needed to login successfully. This code got sent to a mobile device or email account.
YubiKey takes all this security one step further because it is a physical USB key. It supports LastPass & Google & 100+ websites.
How does it work?
For a secure login one has to plug the YubiKey into a free USB port on the computer and simply touch it (holding a finger over it for a few milliseconds) or tap it against a NFC-enabled Android phone. A 30+ random character password is generated (which can’t be seen), and LastPass or whatever online website / app accepts it automatically and logs in securely.
Benefits of Using YubiKey with LastPass
- Autofills the code, so no typing is required
- Works on all major browsers and operating systems, as well as NFC-enabled mobile devices
- No client software or drivers needed
- Compact, easy-to-carry size; 2 mm thin, 3 grams
- Practically indestructible; waterproof, crush safe, no battery
Of course every method of protection has its pros and cons and it is up to you to ensure the risks are understood.
I highly recommend YubiKey.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- How to change default rowlimit (10 posts) on SharePoint 2013 blog?In Advice11th July 2018
- Rock legend Bryan Adams wows Bowen at the O2.1st June 2018
- Lookatbowen.com is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant.30th May 2018
- Bowen purchased a pair of Oakley Turbine Prizm P sunglasses.20th May 2018
- Panoramas pulled from Google Photos with Photonic WordPress plugin.18th May 2018
- Advice (59)
- Animals (16)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Bowen (379)
- Brands (184)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (2)
- Home Automation (2)
- Music (64)
- NYE (6)
- People (67)
- Reaction (53)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (98)
- Technology (66)
- Video (89)
- World (104)